Posted by: Wayne | June 26, 2010

Building frame

Since the last post, I got the ear laminated on the centerboard.  I also got the centerboard case logs (fore and aft end of the case) laminated to 30mm thick.  I then discovered that they needed to be 40mm thick (this is why I need to look at the plans more often).  As a result, I got to rip another piece of cherry and plane it down to 20mm.  Unfortunately, it was a very stubborn piece of wood.  The best method turned out to be using a bench plane as a two-person job.  I pulled and Maria pushed.

When in doubt, add more horsepower!

Of course Gabriel had to get in on the fun. Don't worry, Grandma, the blade is well and truly retracted.

I also got the hole drilled for the centerboard pivot pin.  That involved the use of a neighbor’s drill press and a 3/4″ forstner bit.  The end result was a very nice clean, square hole.

Which brings us to today.  After a trip to the hardware store for some nice long, straight boards to use, it was time to empty the garage to make room for the frame.

Sing a song of boatbuilding, backyard full of ply!

With the backyard full of boat-stuff, we have space to decide exactly where the boat will go.

Then it was time to rip the lumber into appropriate sized pieces (the long, wide boards are much higher quality than the other stick lumber).  Then I got to anchor the uprights to the floor.  The garage floor is anything but level.  If the frame wasn’t anchored down, it would shift and rack every time it got bumped.

Each of the uprights gets fastened to the floor using Tapcon fasteners.

Then it was time for the most important parts of the whole job: the longitudinal members.  These will actually hold the boat, so they need to be perfectly level.  They were mounted with lag screws and leveled using a water level (1/2″ ID tube with water and green food coloring).

You have to love simple technology

No pictures were taken while the level was in use.  It took all available hands to level things.  After the horizontal members were, well, horizontal, I trimmed the uprights to length.

One of the more useful tools - a Japanese pull saw.

I added some transverse braces to stabilize things and also to store the stick lumber.

Transverse bracing.

Finally, it was time to put everything back into the garage.  Amazingly, it all fit rather well.

Plywood on pallets on the floor, stringers on the transverse bracing, and a few bulkheads on top.

With the frame erected, I am starting to realize just how big this boat is going to be.  The prow will be roughly 1 foot shy of the door end of the frame, and the transom will be at the other end.  The boat will be wider than the frame starting at about the forward set up uprights, and will remain so all the way through to the transom.

The next step will be to install the “rungs” and to scarf the stringers to length.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: