Posted by: Wayne | July 1, 2010

Bulkheads and case logs

Yesterday, I did some more bulkhead assembly (all dry, no glue).  I added the 20×50 cross-braces to bulkheads 4,6 and 8.  I also added a little of the framing to bulkheads 1 and 3.  Bulkhead 6 is near the widest part of the boat, so this gave me a good idea of just how big this thing is going to be.

Getting an idea of scale.

Bulkhead 6: this is going to be a beamy 15-footer.

Today I screwed the centerboard case logs into place.  I also got the leading corner of the centerboard rounded.  I still need to get the top of the case installed, but that will be another day.  I am glad I will be using temporary screws for clamping on most of the boat (the centerboard case is about the only exception).  I hate countersinking.  When all was said and done, I had a case that held the board properly.  The board also swung freely.  It looks like she will need roughly waist-deep water with the board down (she should only need maybe 6 inches with the board up).

Pieces assembled - and they work!

I am planning on getting the bottom panel scarfed and cut this weekend.  This will give me a change of pace (we also have friends coming into town and want to show something off).  Then I get to finish and install bulkheads.  We figure she might get launched late summer of 2011, but summer of 2012 is a very real possibility.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: