Posted by: Wayne | September 7, 2011

Skeg

Sorry it has been so long since the last update.  I work at a university, and the beginning of the semester is always a bit chaotic.  As a result, not a whole lot has been accomplished on the boat.

I have managed to get some work done.  I have trimmed the centercase logs, as well as glassed the corner between the centercase and the bottom panel and the chine between the bottom panel and the garboard.

I also ripped all of the material for the skeg, then glued it onto the boat.  Finally, today, I was able to profile the skeg to provide at least a reasonable approximation of the shape shown in the plans.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of the trick I used to profile, so I will have to use words instead.

  • I use a power planer with the depth of cut set to either 0.5 or 1mm per pass, depending on how steep the taper should be.
  • Since I will be painting the bottom of the boat, I simply used a pen to write the appropriate height of the skeg onto the bottom panel (so I didn’t have to keep running to the plans).
  • I calculate where to start passes to achieve the desired taper.  For example, if the part is supposed to taper by 4mm over a 200mm run, then I will take a pass, back up by 50mm, take another pass, and so forth.
  • This method seems to allow a quick and fairly precise taper.  If I have extra thickness, I will taper the part, then take full-length passes to take off the extra.  This helps to smooth out the small “divots” where each pass began.

I do have a few pictures, so here goes.

I laminated up a stem cap out of 3 layers 2mm thick. This covers all of the vulnerable and ugly end-grain that was showing.

Looking aft at the bottom of the boat and the skeg.

A more frontal view of the skeg.

The skeg further aft.

The aft end of the skeg. I will probably trim the "upper" corner a bit more and round it more generously.

Lately, it seems that the closer I get to done, the more little tasks need to be completed.  I took a look at a picture from one year ago today.  I have made some fairly decent progress in that time.

One year ago today. I thought it was so cool to start to see the curves. Little did I know...

There is a bit more work to be done before I can start painting the underside of the boat.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. brilliant progress – well done – its coming together
    i remember when arwen looked just like this – it seems so long ago now

    steve


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: