Posted by: Wayne | May 27, 2013

Back on the water

Sorry for the complete lack of blog content recently.  We bought a house and getting it and the yard cleaned up have been taking up a LOT of time.

We finally got the boat out on the water again yesterday.  Unfortunately, cameras work better when you remember to charge the batteries, so the post will not have many pictures.

Anyway, we got the boat safely in the water and away from the dock on jib and mizzen (slower is a good thing around a dock).  After getting out into the lake a bit, it was time to raise the main.  Furled the jib, sheeted the mizzen in nice and tight, untangle lines, start to hoist on the main halyard and … skied halyard.  Fortunately, the location we picked for hoisting the main was a good spot to just float around for a bit while I stood on the foredeck, one arm around the mainmast, a paddle in my other hand retrieving it.

Retrieving a skied halyard.

Retrieving a skied halyard.

Note to self: be sure the main halyard shackle is actually secure before heaving on the line.

Once the main went up, we had a great day sailing.  Wind was 10-12 knots and fairly steady, so we were able to make good progress despite some rather steep chop (as is normal in a shallow lake).  A good time was had by all, and a good sunburn was had by me. Blaise was very excited about the “Boats! Water! Bubbles!”

We did make a few changes to the transportation arrangements on the boat for this run.  I moved the long sticks (mainmast, mizzen mast, main sprit and main yard) from the boat to the top of the van.  This increased visibility aft (no more big tall bracket in the front), as well as simplifying rigging (no more taking the spars OFF of the boat to get the cradles out of the way to put the spars IN the boat).

The spar cradles on the minivan

The spar cradles on the minivan

Long sticks on the minivan and boat in tow; almost ready to head for the water

Long sticks on the minivan and boat in tow; almost ready to head for the water

Finally, we also came up with a way to keep all the lines on the mainmast under control while the mast is out of the boat.  The solution is a very simple bag.

The bag for the lines on the mainmast.  Our daughter picked out the webbing.

The bag for the lines on the mainmast. Our daughter picked out the webbing.

Starting to stuff the lines into the bag.

Still stuffing lines.

Bag in place on mast. Notice that the parrel for the tack of the sail is captured between the two straps. The bag is kept closed by the upper strap.

This bag means that the lines are no longer flopping all over the place while stepping and striking the mainmast, nor are they banging on things and getting tangled during transit.  A very simple fix to a hassle.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. a bag for ropes
    a bag!
    what a simple, clever idea….now why didn’t I think of that!
    welcome back Wayne
    we’ve all missed you and your family

    steve

  2. Merry Christmas to you and your family Wayne. May peace be with you
    Steve arwens meanderings


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: